View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2019, 8:44 am   #4
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Source for HMV decals

I've no idea what an actual original HMV logo looks like.

However, to my eyes, the two logos from Peru (the rectangular one and the circular one) look really quite gaudy, with solid bright green and red colours. Maybe that's how they should be and are exact replicas, faithful to the original designs, but to me, they don't look 'vintage'. I'm not being critical - just expressing a view, which might be a mistaken view at that. I've attached below a scan of an HMV logo which another forum member uploaded some time in the past which I think looks more authentic.

I imagine that the Peru decals will have been screen-printed or created by some commercial process - not on a domestic ink-jet or laser printer. I appreciate that Stephen (the O.P.) isn't asking for a tutorial on how to make waterslide decals (what we call 'transfers' in the UK) - he's asking if there is a source of ready made ones, but some comments might help.

Some logos lend themselves to water-slide decals - sadly, others don't.

The part of the HMV logo which is the 'picture frame' at pic 1 below, with Nipper in the middle would, I think, print quite well on white decal paper, but not the separate lines of text because the space around the lettering would need to be transparent. Sadly, clear ink-jet (or laser) decal paper, when applied to a wooden cabinet - just like dial scans when applied to glass - will be far too 'wishy washy' and feint.

The only water slide decals I've had success in creating have been either where they can be printed on white decal paper and applied to a wooden cabinet or metal dial panel -example being the square Bush logo, the Wartime Civilian Receiver top label and the Ferranti 145 dial shown below. Clear decal paper can be used where the decal is applied to a solid painted panel, such as the Wartime Civilian Radio dial at pic 4 below, which I created in MS 'Paint' and printed on clear ink-jet decal paper to apply to the re-sprayed dial.

As we know, we can't print white on a domestic printer, but provided a decal can be printed on white decal paper, that isn't a problem - white or shaded white will come out well ('Nipper' for example). Likewise we can't print gold or silver, but on an ink-jet printer we can get close to fooling the eye, as the Bush logo below will show.

I've printed waterslide dial decals from excellent scans of various DAC90A designs, the KB FB10 'Toaster', and Murphy U198 on clear decal paper which look fine while still on the backing paper, buy when applied to the rear of the glass (printed n reverse of course), they're an abysmal failure as they're far too 'wishy washy'.

Pic 1: Scan of HMV logo. (From another forum member).
Pic 2: A strip of four Bush labels printed on white decal ink-jet paper.
Pic 3: Wartime Civilian Receiver top label (scan provided by another forum member) on white ink-jet decal paper.
Pic 4: 'WCR' dial printed on transparent ink-jet decal paper applied to the painted metal dial panel.
Pic 5: Ferranti '145' dial scan printed on white ink jet decal paper and applied to the metal dial plate.

This topic crops up with regularity on the forum, so rather than repeat too much of what's been said before, these links might be of interest:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...lide+transfers

I hope that's of interest, albeit it doesn't answer the O.Ps initial question, 'where can he get HMV decals from?'

The answer to that - up to now - seems to be 'only from Peru'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HMV Logo Waterslide Transfer.jpg
Views:	930
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	186393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bush Logo Artwork 4 in a row.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	186394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wartime Civvie RX top label Dimensions removed 8cm x 3cm.jpg
Views:	221