Thread: Aspect ratio
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2019, 2:28 am   #31
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Re: Aspect ratio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydeuk View Post
I wouldn't expect there to be a wide range of resolutions available on the Xbox One, since this was released well into the era of HD and LCD displays. The Xbox 360 was just about in the era where there were still CRT displays in abundance, so you might have more luck with that.

I don't think anyone expected the Xbox One to ever be connected to a CRT television. I don't know anything about consoles but I would be surprised if it offered any interlaced video options or 4:3 aspect ratio.

On the other hand if you're into classic gaming the likes of the Sega Megadrive were made to connect directly to the aerial socket and will look better on a CRT. VHS should also look better with the lower resolution and no digital processing. Older DVD players should have composite output and options to set the aspect ratio. Older Sky Digital boxes had these options as well.
That makes a lot of sense, i never really thought of the release dates etc. The xbox one just has its own “test cards” for you to adjust the television itself, other than the xbox. Of course, my 70s set cannot do this.

The xbox 360 isnt connected to the internet as it costs money to go online, the xbox one is connected (More point of connecting the newer console to the Wifi instead of an older barely used console)

I do have an Atari 2600 which plugs right into the back of the TV, im not much of a gamer otherwise. I also prefer VHS on the 70s set. I did once play a VHS on a FS, 1080p and it didn’t look right, it was easily watchable, but just seemed odd.
(Even a worker in Currys said that somethings look better on CRTs than on the new 8k TVs)

Did virgin media boxes have composite output with AR optolns too, as we’re with Virgin Media

Thanks