Thread: Aspect ratio
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2019, 9:54 pm   #23
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Aspect ratio

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertNameHere View Post

Would using this improve picture quality? Even if just slightly?
Just to be clear, this is the sort of Xbox 360 'AV' lead I am referring to. Again, just the first example I found. You would plug this into the type of adaptor I linked to a few posts ago.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replaceme...K/232249027830

Would it improve the picture quality? I don't know whether your HDMI to SCART converter is producing a SCART RGB or SCART composite signal, but it will be doing a lot of processing / crunching to generate a low resolution signal from the HDMI source and it might be doing that really well, or it might be doing that really badly. Whereas, with the type of lead linked to above the Xbox will natively generate a PAL composite video signal. As I said, this is the least desirable of all the possible video connection methods for a 360, but if that's all your TV supports..

Unfortunately, given the wide range of video output types supported by the Xbox 360, the one glaring omission seems to be standard-definition RGB. Instead, they went for 'Component' as the high quality standard connection, probably because this was more widely used in the 360's USA home market and Australia - RGB via SCART seems to have been very much a European thing.

My first 360 was a first-generation 'Grey Cooling Tower' which did not have HDMI out, so I used that for quite a few years with a 'VGA' video output lead and a large CRT VGA monitor - the image quality that way was far better, much higher resolution than any SD TV display and offered a wide range of pixel high / pixel wide resolutions for different monitors and aspect ratios.

Edit: Sorry, I missed the fact that although you have a 360 you are currently using an Xbox One. I'm not so sure about the range of outputs available on that, and the lead I linked to above is for the 360.

Last edited by SiriusHardware; 7th Feb 2019 at 10:05 pm.