View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2019, 10:10 pm   #26
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: 12 Inch Colour TV's.

Yes - these Baby 10s were very popular round here. The potted regulator always failed and eventually there was a discrete component non-potted equivalent available. Made by various companies they were various in their reliability! They used a sort of block converter as a conventional chip regulator couldn't give a stable output from a source less than 1v higher than the output, if you see what I mean, as was often the case with a caravan battery.
Other than that the DC socket used to melt and the rectifier diodes were massive 5A jobs. I still have a couple of those and a sparkling new regulator in the drawer!
Back to the subject, the Kuba Porta-Color (sic) / Granada Colourette were alarming beasts with lots of valves, an 11" CRT and a simple-PAL (i.e. no delay line) decoder, not to be confused with Sony's more elegant NTSC conversion. Performance was, er, marginal and reliability similar. Only saw a couple and that was enough!
Amstrad did a 10" Orion-sourced set, and Thomson did as well as mentioned above. Also Philips with their red Saba sourced (I think) cubic TV, though I'm not sure of the screen size - I'm sure Maarten will put me right here!
There was a Waltham TV that always seemed smaller than 14", though again I might be wrong. Poor tubes in them, I seem to remember.