Thread: Maplin stores
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2018, 2:30 am   #579
IanBland
Hexode

Default Re: Maplin stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie99 View Post

No, but that's exactly what the distance selling regulations do for internet shopping..... you have up to 14 days, from receipt, to inspect internet purchases, in the comfort of your own home, before deciding if you wish to keep them, or return for full refund. You may or may not need to pay the return postage cost (sales T&C's determine), but all other costs are fully refundable by law.

Alan
Getting the wrong thing and sending it back isn't actually the same as getting the right thing in the first place, which is what the "shop as showroom" does. Many things can now be ordered on specifications, but some things it's much better to check out before you buy. And it still remains that same day is actually same day with a shop (if they have stock, which Maplin sadly fell down on more and more as time went on).

On the latter point; Wednesday I did a Farnell order. What I didn't realise that because one part (the ones I really wanted) were Liege (Belgium) stock, and the rest (not so urgent) were UK stock, they despatched the UK parts and put the Liege parts on backorder, which meant having to cancel them from the order altogether and reorder separately so they'll be shipped next day from Liege.

"Next day" from today (Friday) being next Tuesday.

Which does kind of bring up the issue of why these days everything still has this five day week and extra or not at all at the weekends and so on. But for now, the comparison is going to a shop and getting the thing in about an hour, or waiting potentially several days.

Then sending it back because it wasn't quite what you thought you were getting, getting a refund, ordering again...