Thread: Maplin stores
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2018, 4:37 pm   #575
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Maplin stores

While on a trip elsewhere I passed the Swindon (Greenbridge) store today and popped in. Signs up saying "Last five days"...

Not much left:

Loads of clingfilm-wrapped trays of plugs/sockets/connectors, but I don't think I need 100 F-connectors, 20 4-pin CB-microphone plugs or 20 3.5mm mono jack-plugs - even for only a tenner a time.

They are still trying to sell 13a-to-IEC309 kettle-leads for £2 a time. Most people I know can't give them away.

No SLAs or significantly-discounted AA/C/D rechargeables left. A few of their own-brand AA primary-batteries but still not worthily cheaper than Screwfix!

They appear to have been clearing out the warehouse and got down to the Stone Age: there were quite a few things like analog-modem-to-BT-plug cables/adapters, plastic and aluminium "D"-connector covers, 9-to-25-pin D-converters, D-connector gender-changers, 10-metre-long VGA cables, some SCART stuff, as well as a VGA-to-UHF-TV modulator or two. How very last-millennium!

As an epitaph for Maplin, I'm reminded of something I said to a friend after his relationship broke up.

"Don't feel sad because it's ended: feel happy because it happened".