View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2018, 11:39 am   #3
Leon Crampin
Octode

Default Re: Scope specification for FM use?

A very good summary above, in my view.

Analogue scopes are old now, so any instrument you buy needs to have a good build standard with good quality components, and above all, excellent documentation backup. Specific spares are always going to be a problem, but the more common 'scopes are a better bet for finding a donor instrument when spares are critical.

For build quality, I would only now consider Tek or H-P. The Brits (Gould, Cossor etc.) used such poor components that they are now more trouble than they are worth.

For documentation, Tek are king - but I give all credit to H-P and have found their manuals excellent, but a bit harder to find.

Performance wise, Tek (especially) and H-P (generally) work to spec and are stable and good to use. If you need options such as 12/24V DC power, Tek generally gave a wider choice.

I did fall foul of the celebrated H-P triggering "myth" when working on diesel engines with the scope powered from an inverter in a very noisy electrical environment. The Tek 465 saved the day, and distinguished itself by operating faultlessly when perched on a 12 cyl diesel engine in the rain, powered by a somewhat erratic inverter. I've been an admirer of Tek scopes ever since.

The H-Ps always worked perfectly well in the lab and I couldn't fault them - but scope driving is habit-forming and once you find your favourite, you're drawn to it. I would buy a suitable H-P scope for lab use without hesitation. It might be cheaper than an equivalent Tek.

Finally, avoid any later scopes which use application specific chips. They are all too easily written off for lack of spares. For my money, the Tek 465 would be my favourite, but I also have its smaller brother the 453 here which is a gem, with a pin-sharp trace. I use this scope a lot.

Leon.