View Single Post
Old 21st May 2018, 8:03 pm   #79
Cobaltblue

Default Re: TV system differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
By 1984 all the 405-line transmissions were duplicates of what was available on 625 lines, so I imagine the main factors were getting rid of all the additional equipment (standards converters and VHF transmitters), and freeing up the VHF spectrum so that it could be sold off to other potential users. Not to mention allowing manufacturers to cease production of dual-standard televisions.

I seem to recall that the final switch-off in 1984 was somewhat later than intended because of the number of viewers with 405-only televisions still in use.

I think the demise of 405 lines was set in motion with the decision to make BBC2 a 625-line only service
Agree with Dave's assesment my wifes Grandparents who live in the Shadow of Carradon only had a 50's 405 TV I think it was a Murphy we got a bit of a cry for help when 405 was switched off and suddenly no Corrie.

We were a young Married couple with a big mortgage yet the rest of the family expected the only Techie in the family to resolve the problem.

Resolved with a 1500 bought second hand ex rental from a PW advertiser who's catchline was something like the largest TV graveyard in the North.

Just stock faults I think it had an Ultra Badge so close to Carradon excellent picture on a set top Aerial.

When I was at PCFE in the Mid 70's the B&W Test subject was the 1500 so I knew it pretty well.

Many Brownie points with small money spent.

Cheers

Mike T