View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2018, 1:39 pm   #20
muttley1984
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Help with Braun MT99R

Hi All - I am now in possession of the BSR UA8 autochanger deck which came as part of my 'donor unit' which is a Pye black box. Now I have this at my house my plan is to give the deck some TLC using the service data info and make sure it is all working correctly in the Pye black box and then transfer it to my grandma's MT99R. I am now reasonably confident about what I need to connect and how to connect it thanks to all of your support

This first issue I have is the cartridge on the donor unit. It is an Acos GP67 cartridge. From a little reading this is not suitable and needs replacing. I have looked for a few weeks for an Acos GP91 3SC (as this is being used by Sobell1980 with good results) but without paying a lot of money I haven't found anything suitable so am looking for alternatives.

From my reading I believe I am after a ceramic cartridge rather than crystal and require a 'stereo compatible' cartridge to not limit the records I can play on the device without damage. I have come across the following options. Could anyone advise whether these are ok and secondly if I should have a preference? I am slightly concerned about the stated output being max 190mV, is this going to affect the performance in the MT99R drastically?

1. BSR SC12H
2. BSR SC5H
3. BSR SC-12M – stated as a replacement/upgrade to the SC12H. It states the sound quality should be better as it uses “diamond tip BSR ST20 stylus needle”?

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/ceramic-s...e-sc-12m-hr10l

Would be extremely happy if anyone could advise/suggest a better available alternative

Thanks