View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2017, 6:49 pm   #1527
pmmunro
Octode

Default Re: AVO Multimeter survey

Pamphonica,

Thank you for the information. Yours is a very significant collection of select early models with supplementary "modern" meters.

This survey arose out of discussions between me and the late SPCH and he intended to collate the information gathered. I have been trying to respond to questions which have arisen to keep up interest and to keep the survey alive but time to carry out the collation it deserves has not, so far, been available to me.

I think it is fair to say that there is a great deal of useful information within this survey and it is now large enough to be worth drawing together in database form to allow some assessment of the numbers of various models of instrument to be estimated. I would also hope that collectors would continue to contribute information through the courtesy of the forum. It is one of the longest threads on the forum, judging by the number of pages which have accumulated.

I feel that it would be incumbent on anyone making the collation to make the results available on the Forum or otherwise through the BVWS since so many people have contributed.

I don't expect to have the time to analyse all this information for some considerable time but if anyone is willing to do the work and has sufficient experience of database construction to do it reasonably quickly, I would be very pleased if they would take it on.

Your comment on the list as an aid to tracing stolen meters is interesting. In the late 1930s, some demonstration Avometers were stolen from a sales rep's. car and a list of serial numbers was published in the trade press. I'm unable to say if the instruments were recovered, but it's sad to think anyone who could appreciate the qualities of Avometers would be dishonest enough to buy a stolen one.

PMM
pmmunro is offline   Reply With Quote