View Single Post
Old 12th May 2005, 4:17 pm   #26
Gavtech
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: belts again! (Philips 4307/8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavtech
In researching belt suppliers I have found that Cricklewood Electronics have a wide range { four pages worth } at very decent prices: 25p and 50p respectively for the two sizes of belt required.

see Belts at Cricklewood Electronics

I measured the length of the main flywheel belt as 270 mm { i.e. 86 mm diameter } and the lighter guage tape counter belt as 300 mm long { i.e. 95 mm diameter}
The belts are so cheap I intend to get a few around each size .
I will report back when they are obtained as to which appears to work best.

I intend using a 2mm belt for flywheel and a 1.2 mm belt for the counter.

Nobody has mentioned what the actual specified size should be. Does anyone know?
Erm.... Silly Me! I quickly opened up this machine and only checked the bottom of the deck... I did not remove the top plate and discover the other two belts ... I have now [ Doh! ]
As yet I have not measured up for those belts , but the main heavy gauge belt that goes around the motor, drive transfer jockey, and the fast reel idlers is enormous! It is bigger than any suppliers belts I have seen so far... so I guess it might be a 'cut and glue' job as recommended elswhere in this thread.
I shall report back the measured sizes.

Just as an aside , this machine had done an interesting thing. At first it looked like there were 5 belts in all ... But at some time, the motor had been started and the large main belt had stuck to the pulley , dragging the belt in then neatly twisting it off, re-tying both ends of the belt so it appeared there were two complete heavy guage belts.

In cleaning up the mess from the old belts, I have been trying 'Chewing Gum Remover' available from Screwfix, instead of the usual solvents . I have to report that it seems very effective: It is quite pleasant to use, is not over volatile and therefore does not over-dissolve the rubber or evaporate too quickly, and so cleaning up is not such a dirty job. I have only done the bottom of the deck so far ... but my hands have stayed clean.

I have obtained a few belt sizes and I can now report that for the bottom of the deck these belt sizes work fine:

Flywheel to Drive transfer pulley: 2 mm Square belt, 86 mm Diameter

Tape Counter belt: 1.2 mm Square belt, 90 mm diameter.

I obtained both of these belts from Cricklewood Electronics at 50p and 25p repectively.

Gavin