View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2017, 8:19 pm   #17
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Knob casting experiments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesomega View Post
Inspiring work! One small question - how do you create those excellent drawings? It must be quite expedient as you have used them so liberally
I never put hand-drawn sketches or circuits on the forum - if I do something that I think is worth sharing on here, I draw a sketch, which doesn't take a great deal longer than doing it freehand and scanning it, and for some things, such as the knob mould casting jobbie, I'd do the drawings for my own use anyway. But in saying that, I wouldn't for a moment want to deter anyone who does put hand-drawn circuits and the like on the forum.

I'm not very far up the 'food chain' when it comes to using CAD packages, so I just use MS 'PAINT' - a simple but versatile drawing package, which for now, comes bundled free with all versions of Windows, albeit Microsoft have said they intend to 'deprecate it' by which they mean 'kill it off'. It's a most odd American use of the term 'deprecate' which - in Brit English - means 'to express disapproval of protest against, or belittle', usually in the context of someone's character. It's an odd thing for MS to say about their own creation, used and enjoyed by millions the world over for decades. Due to howls of protest, MS have said they'll leave it alone for now.

I find it easy to use for everything from drawing sketches, designing PCB artwork and UV masks, component overlays, and cleaning up circuits. As a little example, I've attached a section of a original scruffy datasheet from a Unitra Figaro, and a cleaned up reproduction of the same section that I drew using 'PAINT'. I cleaned up all of the diagrams from the manual for an article published in the BVWS Bulletin as none of the diagrams were fit to be published. If I couldn't be bothered to have cleaned up the drawings, I wouldn't have bothered to submit the article for consideration.

There are countless tutorials on internet for 'PAINT' for anyone who wants to find their way around it.

Hope that's of interest and use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Figaro Special full cricuit clip (original).jpg
Views:	204
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	154046   Click image for larger version

Name:	Figaro Special circuit clip cleaned up.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	154047