View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2009, 12:21 pm   #28
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Default Re: Ekco A22 in walnut brown/bronze c.1945

Since posting this restoration I've received several PM's now from members asking for details about how I went about completely stripping and rewiring this set. So rather than keep replying individually I thought it might be helpful to add the information here of my way of doing things for anyone who might wish to refer to it.

First of all I take digital photographs of the untouched set so I've got something to refer back to. I literally photograph everything! Anything that I may need to look at at some point. Its especially important to get good images of the underside of valve bases, connections from IFT's, transformers, and switches. I supplement the photographs with sketches and drawings of exactly how everything is connected until I'm sure I can put it all back together again.

At this point I'm ready to start dismantling and removing parts and components. I use masking tape to make small labels around wires before I cut them. These can then be written on to tally-up with points on the circuit diagram and with drawings in my notes. Doing this slowly and methodically a chassis can be easily stripped with you being confident of knowing where everything should go when you want to reassemble it.

It can be a bit daunting when first attempted, especially with sought after sets such as the A22 here, but sometimes a complete strip and rebuild is the only way forward. However I would only recommend undertaking this sort of thing when absolutely necessary and the condition of the set demands it. But I must say I personally enjoy having to restore a set this way, it gives a much greater sense of satisfaction when completed than a simple re-cap, clean and polish!

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk