View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2022, 9:32 am   #37
jhalphen
Hexode

Default Re: I’m an idiot!

Hi to all,

Anecdote #1:
Circa 1968, i was +/- 15.
Had purchased a Kyoritsu KEW-3 Scope from RIM Electronics supplies in Germany while on a language school trip.
The Scope is all tubes 3 MHz bandwith, no DC, no calibrated positions, very basic.
While poking in the innards, wanted to measure the CRT filament voltage, only 6.3V, right?

Well knew nothing then that CRT Filaments & Cathode are at high negative potential and received the full 1200V EHT when my multimeter test probe slipped & touched Fil pin with bare finger.

Was a good lesson! purchased a book on CRTs & Scopes and started filling in the gaps.

Anecdote #2:
1970. Was given an all-tube non-working 1967 25" SECAM colour TV, an Oceanic TV-600 (30 valves, transistorized UHF tuner).
Purchased a thick book on colour TV theory, the set's schematics and got to work.
The set had 4 failures. Took my time, 4 months, learned circuit by circuit & fixed it.
Decided that for reliability would replace with all-new H & V scan valves, EHT shunt, etc.
Local dealer sold me RFT valves made in the DDR. The EL519 & GY500 were shorted from defective QC.
When the plates started glowing red, boy did i switch off fast! no damage.
Purchased only Philips, Telefunken, Valvo valves thereafter.

The TV ran faultlessly until 1978 when i moved and purchased a new 12" Trinitron with my first salary.

Best Regards
jhalphen
Paris/France