View Single Post
Old 14th May 2018, 1:36 am   #32
GeorgeChristofi
Triode

Default Re: Jonell Radio. A cheaper version of the Ace 50.

Right...here is a question that should easily be explained here.....

I have a replacement mains transformer which has no centre tap. My thinking is such that this transformer (which fits the original mounting holes perfectly) would be a safer option than just soldering the neutral line to chassis.

According to the trader sheet, the original a50 was full wave rectified but this set is half wave rectified, using both diodes in the 6x5gt as a parallel pair. Now, If I made it full wave by adding a couple of silicon diodes to complete the bridge configuration would that result in a better (more stable, less noise) power supply than just leaving it in half wave mode as is?

Any thoughts on the hybrid bridge rectifier? good, bad, makes no difference except you don't need a centre tap?

Even in half wave mode, the set should be within the ratings of the single tube rectifier, having a rating of 70mA where the set consumption (as specified) is only 55ma. I could if I wanted to just put in a silicon bridge rectifier, but that seems to be defeating the original design.

Last edited by GeorgeChristofi; 14th May 2018 at 1:37 am. Reason: spelling error... didoes isn't correct....