Thread: Franklin VFO ?
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2019, 3:20 pm   #42
Granitehill
Tetrode

Default Re: Franklin VFO ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0HZU_JMR View Post
However, I have to say that this lashup version of the VE3RF oscillator I have in the screened box is probably the most stable 5MHz oscillator I've ever made and I've changed nothing on it since the initial build. I did include the subtle phase correction in the initial build. Up at 16MHz I think the gain/phase error will be less because there will be some phase shift in the overall circuit anyway at the higher frequency.
This supports my feeling that the Franklin is potentially more stable - all other things being equal - than most of the other oscillator types. I suspected the trade-off would mainly be phase noise against absolute stability, and the comments so far seem to confirm that.

I don't need this to get the radio on the air - I'm there already. The points of the exercise are :

1 A hands-on learning exercise in oscillator design and implementation.
2 A more elegant and appropriate solution, rather than driving a small, simple radio via a high function synthesizer. (This works well, but offends my sensibilities a bit).

The discussion so far forms a very useful part of objective 1 - thanks all round for the thoughts.