View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2017, 1:11 pm   #17
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Re: Astral candlestick phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
In post #9 you twice refer to "ringback" and give it two different meanings. Now you've changed your mind and posted a link to "Ringback Tone", something completely different.

In all the years I worked for POT/BT and two other telcomms providers it's not a term I ever heard used in the UK.

This thread is about a vintage telephone so I think that ring tone is most appropriate. We both know what we're refering to though regardless of what we chose to call it.
I've been connect with telephones since starting with the GPO Telephones in the 1950's and have always heard it referred to a 'ringing tone' or 'ring tone' . GPO circuit diagrams refer to is as 'Ring Tone' - just looked at several.

Even BT still refer to it as 'Ringing Tone' on their documentation - see their latest SIN 350 about PSTN Tones and Information Announcements where they are all defined. "Awaiting Answer Indication (Ringing Tone)"

It is another case of the internet rewriting history - a term that has more than likely come across the Pond with mobile phones. They don't have NU Tone over there either. They have a tone called 'Reorder Tone' Anyone familiar with setting up VoIP telephones or Analogue Terminal Adapters will have come cross the terms there.

We still refer to 'final selectors' but they call them 'connectors' - we have telephone exchanges and they have 'central offices'

If it is still 'Ringing Tone' for BT, it's good enough for me.