View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2011, 2:13 pm   #16
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default Re: Revox A700 repro IC

Ted,

Thanks for the extra information re fitting a 5532 though now that I know it's not as straightforward as it might have been (due to possible head magnetisation) I'll think twice before proceeding. I have other more pressing jobs!

Still since my A700 is otherwise the best 1/4" machine I have, for it to have a sub standard play head front end is a shame. These days I would only use it for capture to digits anyway where the playback chain is all important. Especially so since tape stock only got lower in bias noise as the years rolled on, making the preamp noise stand out more.

You say that on the B67 Studer reverted to a discrete front end, driving a 931, surely an admission on their part that even the lowest noise 931 wasnt up to the mark.

That to me was progress. Sometimes progress starts with admitting one has made a mistake and that there is a better solution, sometimes even a tried and true one. If the 931 was "near perfect" as first stage in the head amp, why did Studer later go to the trouble to place a discrete circuit in front of it?

Whichever way you slice it...

Tim