View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2015, 9:02 am   #22
thejazzageuk
Pentode

Default Re: Restore a Beau Decca

Thanks Techman, Nickthedentist and dave walsh. I only aim to play LPs on the deck, and none of mine are particularly valuable. Most are jazz from 50s/60s- so a mix of mono and stereo. However I wouldn’t want them to be damaged so the audio is ruined (I’ve read lots of conflicting advice about playing stereo records with mono cartridges).

I’m particularly grateful to techman for advice on the decks. The information that an RC80 maybe could offer stereo appears to make it the best candidate for me- it also looks fantastic. May be out of my price range in the initial stages but this look like a good final goal. (Just to be clear, my BD came with the BSR turntable in post 1- unfortunately the RC72 in post 9 is not mine). So my current thinking is a Rogers Cadet 3 with RC80. My level of expertise in valve sets is middling. I worked as an electrical design engineer at Jaguar Cars for 10 years- so it’s mainly 12V stuff. I have restored a Sonora Elegance with lots of help from Station X and a few others (still being used most days). Am currently working my way through Chas Miller’s ‘Valve Radio and Audio repair handbook’.