View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2011, 6:40 pm   #59
westcliff
Hexode

Default Re: KB FB10 "Toaster"

There is some progress to report, but not in a good way.

The set will not play properly at all; it doesn't matter if the case is on or off. Furthermore, when switched on, there are no voices or music to be heard, only a loud hum between stations and an almighty buzzing when a station is tuned in.

Prior to this latest calamity, I noticed that the wavechange switch lever was floppy in operation. The reason was that the spacers on which the switch is mounted had some play, so the whole switch could move. I had previously found the floppiness useful when removing the speaker, as the switch lever could be moved just far enough to free it from the bottom mounting hook.

Now that I have tightened up the spacers the switch operates quite stiffly and of course there is the dreadful noise when I switch the set on. The switch still seems to change wavebands. I suspect that my repair work and the unwelcome din may be connected. I am also starting to think that the previous good/no good behaviour could have been caused by the loose switch and not by my atrocious soldering.

Tonight's task will be to test the new theory by loosening the wavechange switch and trying various degrees of looseness to see how the set performs.

Gus.

Last edited by westcliff; 24th Nov 2011 at 6:41 pm. Reason: Two words had to be separated.