View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2018, 9:07 pm   #33
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Default Re: Unfair use of service manuals

A few years back I converted all my copies of Pye telecom "in house" (Telecommunications, Dublin) test gear to pdf, often enlarged, sometimes with my own notes added. The paper originals I still have. My reason was so I could maybe help the occasional enthusiast by providing a copy if needed as some of this data is difficult to find. Another reason being to maybe just give back a little to all the members whose posts I so much enjoy.
Requests for information have happened occasionally. Only yesterday, being the MM1 modulation meter copy going to a UKVRR member in Netherlands. With my compliments. I received a very nice reply thanking me for it. The text within the warm thank you reply that I received more than made up for the entire value that I could ever place on the pdf.
It is most unlikely any one person would acquire all my pdf copies anyway, so as to be able to offer on line at a premium. I am in control of each individual copy I send to whichever person requests it, so It is very unlikely any would ever be offered for sale, as they are genuine forum members and it is against the ethos of this forum - and they all respect that. If any appeared on auction or whatever, it would be annoying to myself, yes. But, as I am not the original copyright holder anyway, totally beyond my control.
These days it is all too easy for people to make a "fast buck" on original printed matter. Just search the usual auction for BC221 handbook and it is often for sale as a copy. Asking about 1/3 the price of what the actual instrument sells for at radio rallies!
Rob