View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2018, 9:06 pm   #33
simpsons
Octode

Default Re: Transferring VHS to DVD?

I have used both a Panasonic VHS to DVD dubbing combo recorder DMR ES30V, a Philips version DVDR 630 and a Toshiba HDD combined DVD recorder RD-XS24SB. The Philips VHS DVD combo gave poor results because the Sanyo designed VHS player did not incorporate the correct video playback equalization. When used to playback tapes it gave too much edge enhancement especially noticed on faces. The Panasonic and Toshiba were excellent in every respect.

DVD recording quality and length or recording is dependant on the bit rate recorded. The greater the bit rate, more information which means better quality but less recording time. However, VHS video is limited to <3MHz. which in practise is LP or EP recording quality ie between 2.5Mbits/240 mins or 1.7 Mbits/ 360 mins recording on a 4.7 /GB disk. For off air recording then XP or 10Mbits gives 60 min recording with a flat 4MHz video frequency response, reducing to -3dB when SP or 5Mbits is selected.

I have DVD's, games, CD's and CDV discs which are very old and as with video tapes not subject to abuse, they are as good as new. Uploading to the cloud may be a good insurance policy as retrieving the images should be possible for the very long term if deemed important.

To be frank, we don't play the children's videos very often so the recordings get stuffed into the back of a cupboard until Grandparents visit and we can't think of anything to talk about whilst, my eyes roll when the holiday videos are shown by freinds.

Chris

Last edited by simpsons; 28th Aug 2018 at 9:08 pm. Reason: Additional information
simpsons is offline   Reply With Quote