View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2017, 12:24 am   #10
1100 man
Octode

Default Re: Pilot PT650 "Spacemaker" Television

That's handy, Mike Just what I needed as I don't have the 60/61 red book!
There are certainly some odd looking bits to the circuit- Fernseh must have been right when he said they used some dodgy circuit techniques! Why, for instance, does the main HT rail go to the frame scan coils? I've never seen that before!
The reflex sound has already been mentioned- again somewhat unusual in a TV. Also the contrast control in the video amp anode circuit and hence the 'tube drive' adjustment. Plus the grounded grid of the CRT and brightness & signal (with no DC restoration) applied to the cathode.
Certainly all a bit quirky, but that adds to the interest for me.
Having now returned to Essex, I now have some better facilities with which to work. I hooked the tube up to the B&K tester and it gives a perfectly adequate emission reading, albeit, with the anode volts wound up to max.
I have two CME1703's here which give exactly the same readings so either none of them will give good pictures, or they all will. I need to overhaul the Ekco T344 so I can use it to test out the tubes.

John, a scrap Fireball tuner would be very useful so I could make one good one. Especially the wire spring and the tin cover if you have those. I don't suppose you have a mains dropper or a speaker for one of these as well?

I've now removed what's left of the chassis from the tube and cleaned all the gunge from the back of the tube which now looks much better. The next thing will be to strip the remainder of the chassis and separate the four main panels.
That's all for the moment
Cheers Nick