View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2017, 7:47 am   #12
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: GEC BRT402D Receiver.

The BRT400 series are usable as search receivers, for trawling across a band to see what's there. The tuning gearbox is smooth and feels good.

The RC410 series are quite different. I had one of the early ones. The tuning is by decade switches and the switches are geared together with Geneva-Wheel mechanisms. You turn the right-hand tuning knob and it goes clunk-clunk-clunk in 1kHz steps (100Hz if you have it pulled out for 'low gear') one in every 10 clunks is a CLUNK when the next decade switch increments. You feel the added load! The small grey knobs to the left of the big blue kHz knob are the 10kHz and 100kHz switches. You can disengage these and turn them to do a quicker QSY.

This arrangement is substantially more convenient than a bank of thumb-wheel switches, but it's not free tuning bu a long chalk.

Inside the set is on large SRBP PCBs which warp.

I think the market had it right, the Eddystone was the better radio. The RC410 was better as a fixed link machine.

Nowadays the RC410 is a historic artefact, not a daily user for anyone who has one. I had no interest in keeping the one I had.

David