View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2020, 12:33 am   #1
spindle71
Diode

Default R-to-R Uher help

Hello all - newbie here. I have some old tapes I recorded on a rented Uher back in the early 70's. It was a portable, battery powered machine but I can't remember the model. Fastforward a few years and I wanted to transfer it to cassettes. The store no longer had the Uher so I rented a newer machine like a Akai. The music sounded okay if you turned off one channel otherwise you got one correct track and one backwards track. So I left it for a long time just using one channel on the cassette deck. Now I'd like to transfer to my computer, I'd like some advice. I assume the Uher was a 1/2 track and recorded on tracks 1,2 and then when flipped over/reversed it recorded on 3,4 tracks. And regular machines like the Akai use 4 track stereo- tracks 1,3 and 2,4. I can't find a Uher to use and was wondering if I use a 4track and just use track 1, am I missing much or should I pay a recording studio to transfer it using the full width of tracks 1,2? A studio I contacted said they must 'bake' my tapes, but they are pre-1973 and I understand they do not need baking (Ampex 344-1 mil polyester, low noise).