View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 1:40 am   #17
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush SRG86 Asbestos?

The bottom line on this is to leave the heat shield where it is and just seal it with an appropriate product.

However, where I would advise particular caution is with cleaning out the cabinet - don't suck it out with a vacuum cleaner. You have to remember that the filter in a domestic vacuum cleaner is not capable of filtering out the finest and most dangerous particles and will just spread them all over the house and re-distribute them every time you vacuum the room and contaminate the whole house and everyone's lungs. If you must vacuum, then do it outside and only use an old vacuum cleaner that will NEVER be used inside the house.

I never vacuum a radio, I just use an old cleaner set on blow and do it down the garden on preferably a slightly damp day and using a long wand on the end of the pipe, keeping well away from any neighbouring boundaries. You never know what's in the heavy build up of decades of dust in an old radio. Many houses of the past were full of Asbestos fixtures, fittings and insulation and the radio could have been in use there when renovation was carried out in less than ideal conditions, you just don't know.

If you've already used your vacuum cleaner for sucking out potential Asbestos dust, then you need to remove, bag and seal ALL filters and bags etc. and safely dispose of them. Then you'll need to decontaminate the cleaner itself by washing all the vital parts, if this can't be done, then you'll either have to dump it or keep it in the shed and just use it for cleaning radios etc.

Edit to add: If I think there's definitely Asbestos dust there then I'll swab out with damp disposable cloth before any blowing, then bag, seal and dispose of cloth while damp.

Last edited by Techman; 22nd Feb 2018 at 1:48 am.