Thread: Maplin stores
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2018, 9:57 pm   #54
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Maplin stores

As a general rule, banks won't support a pre-pack where the original directors of the failed company remain in post under the new ownership, for obvious reason - you don't give the keys back to the guy that crashed the car. I think we could almost write the script for the likely outcome for Maplin. New company will not take on the debt of the old one, but will cherry pick the stores that are profitable, close down the rest, cease mail order and sell online. I dare say many of the shops are leased rather than owned.

All very said. Should have rationalised their inventory long ago - 80% of their profit will come from 20% of their lines. The low value low turnover stuff we're interested in like resistors, caps etc, is just a nuisance and should have been ditched. Switches, plugs and sockets, yes perhaps, but it's too little too late.

Obviously it will drastically affect the staff, which is a great shame - in every branch I've been in the staff have been courteous, helpful and on the whole, knowledgeable. (I've not been into the Hull branch since a private car parking outfit who patrol the car park issued a ticket to a chum who'd parked next to a large van, and his wheels had overhung the white line of the next bay).

Dire.

I'm looking for some instrument knobs just now - it would never occur to me to see if Maplin have any.

It will be interesting to see if Edinburgh Woolen Mills owner does take a punt on Maplin.