View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2019, 9:08 pm   #10
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: New book: 'The Last Train to Hilversum - a journey in search of the magic of radi

I've used my Kindle less and less over time.

The main problem with Kindle is that e-books carry 20% VAT whereas paper books have no VAT. You can't pass Kindle books on to anyone else to read. I occasionally download Kindle books, but not often nowadays. If the book has been in print for at least a year or so, my first option is to check the 'used' price, which is often less than Kindle, then when I've read it, I can pass it on to someone else or to the Oxfam Bookshop. (Not a general Oxfam shop).

If you take a book such as the best-seller 'Sapiens - A Brief History of Humankind', it's £6.99 for the Kindle edition, and £6.99 for the paperback. I bought mine on Amazon Market Place 'good used' for £5.50 post free. It was just like new when it arrived three days later. (Fantastic book by the way).

Some would argue that the Kindle and other e-books scores in convenience in that you can have not just one book, but a whole library in your pocket and that's true.

I can't comment on 'Last Train to Hilversum' - mine doesn't arrive till Friday.