View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2019, 10:53 pm   #135
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Default Re: CRT is brighter to one side [Hitachi CTP213]

Quote:
would anyone have an idea as to why the picture stopped working AFTER i replaced the capacitors
Could be all sorts of things. Possibly a specific problem with what you did, e.g. wrong caps, wrong way round, faulty caps (unlikely), something else reconnected the wrong way round while reassembling. Or on a more general note, disturbing something that did not want to be disturbed, e.g. a preset nudged out of adjustment, dry joints parting company, duff connections. Or, other parts may just be progressively going bad every minute the power is on.

Coming to this thread afresh, I'll echo what various posters have said before; you might get best results by teaming up with someone experienced in TV repair and working on it together in person. These are reliable sets and there might not be very much wrong, but there now seem to be two or three faults and you run the risk of damaging parts that are difficult to replace unless you can quickly and efficiently get to the root of them. An elderly solid-state live-chassis TV is probably not the best project to tackle until you have a fair amount of experience and familiarity with electronics such as using a multimeter, identifying capacitor polarity etc. When new, it was the most complex piece of technology in most homes, requiring skill to service, and now even more so because of its age and increased fragility.

I'm not trying to sound disparaging, keep at it, you can probably fix it with the help of the team here, just passing on my father's advice to me (which was good, he used to recruit TV engineers so he knew what it took to be a good one!)