View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2018, 6:32 am   #33
Catkins
Pentode

Default Re: 1938 Murphy A56V television restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
Very impressive Catkins. I didn't know that Murphy produced a Pre-War TV either. Apart from anything else, you've obviously saved a very rare item. More info/photos would be very welcome. As for the striking blue colour, I think I might be right in saying that some Murphy radio sets have a blue chassis but perhaps a slightly lighter shade. It looks great anyway!
Yes, I think you are right. Late 30s sets were painted blue, immediately post-war sets were painted grey.

As far as what shade of blue this set was painted, it was actually rather difficult to tell, because there were a number of different shades present, perhaps due to different rates of preservation.

I looked at the photos on the internet of rather better preserved A58Vs (i.e. http://www.earlytelevision.org/image...58v_back-2.jpg) as an additional guide, but photos can be unreliable. The exact shade in the photo often depends on lighting, whether flash is used etc.

After some experiment, I chose to use Hammerite Blue to respray, this gave a reasonable colour match to the existing paint-work and had good properties such as hardness, resistance to damp penetration, and long-life which a lot of other paints don't have (such as car respray paint).

I think the colour match is decent, but it is probably a little less "green" than the original paint-work.

Attached are two photographs. The first is a photo of the unrestored chassis but also with the painted metal plate on which the occasional controls are mounted. This was screwed to the cabinet, and hence not exposed. There also a couple of better preserved pieces of paint-work visible on the chassis, especially where components have been removed.

The second photograph is a composite of that photo and the repainted chassis. I think the colour is a reasonable match.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	original.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	174490   Click image for larger version

Name:	composite.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	174491  

Last edited by Catkins; 13th Dec 2018 at 6:34 am. Reason: Remove some redundant words