Thread: Power MOSFETs
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2019, 4:35 am   #43
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: Power MOSFETs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesomega View Post

By Argus25: if an amplifier is used for the task (be it any class of amplifier A,B,D) it will be very important to not run it open ended, meaning from some uncontrolled amplitude sine wave signal source. It ideally would have feedback around it that samples the output voltage and gain levels it to some particular output voltage. Or it could be a recipe for a very nasty over-voltage event...

Julesomega: I don't think a power engineer working at the CEGB would agree, they do not take feedback from customer loads, even the biggest loads, to control the network voltage
I don't really understand your objection. Every well designed power supply unit, analog or switching type, samples its own output and feeds it back to the drive circuitry to make sure its voltage is regulated and stays stable under varying loads and many have overvoltage and some undervoltage and many current overload protection too. These are features expected in every well designed supply. Really, these features should be added if you feed a sine wave source into an amplifier module to derive the power.

Perhaps this might not apply if you are a power grid generator (I assume that is what CEGB is) sending power down a street to a remote location where is not possible or even useful to sense the voltage easily, at least at the source you can still sense the current.