View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2019, 7:05 pm   #25
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: CRT is brighter to one side [Hitachi CTP213]

As has been said, we didn't, thankfully, have those tubes with the safety-glass glued to the face-plate.
We did have tubes described as "twin panel" tubes for a while, I think they were similar to a laminated windscreen.

Another technique was the Fenbridge guard and this was decidedly dodgy for us service staff.

We sat at the workbench on typical wooden bar-stools, the seat squab would be removed and the new CRT would be placed neck-down in the aperture.

The rimband and four mounting brackets would have previously been removed from the old CRT.

A new Fenbridge guard, which we simply called a "skin" or occasionally a "Cornea Guard" was obtained from stores.

I should add at this point that guarding your own corneas with goggles was recommended, but not particularly strictly enforced by management.

Ok, back to the bar-stool and CRT

You need only three tools, a 4BA nut-spinner, a 2kW fan heater, and, I kid you not, a largish ball-pain hammer.

You placed the skin on the screen, being careful to exclude any dirt or dust (impossible)
then you placed on the rimband and inserted the four mounting luggs at their approximate positions, then moderately tightened the band's long 4BA screw.

After that, the idea was to heat the skin to soften the plastic and then tap tap tap the lugs with the hammer to stretch the plastic so it conforms to the curvature of the screen, and you probably needed to tap the lugs sideways to line them up to the threaded studs in the cabinet. Then a final tighten up of the band and in with the tube.

Granada Langworthy Road, Seedley (Salford), Circa 1972.

Last edited by Graham G3ZVT; 14th Feb 2019 at 7:12 pm.