View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2006, 11:31 am   #4
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: dead roberts R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun harris
thanks for the advice darren i tried all you suggested an nothing at all......
Sorry about that Shaun. Roberts of that period also suffered from poor soldering, often on the modules, so there is a few further not-too-technical checks you can do.

Remove the chassis; turn the carrying handle clear of the tuning scale, remove the base and battery (if fitted). You will see two screws on anodised brackets, one each side, which secure the chassis. Remove those and also that which secures the telescopic aerial. Push chassis out through the top of the cabinet to the extent the speaker wires and external aerial wires will allow. You can disconnect the latter if you wish, but do not disconnect the loudspeaker (this is not as stupidly obvious as it may seem; radios don't like been powered up with no output load such as a speaker or an ammeter).

With chassis out as far as it will, look for any squashed or otherwise damaged wires. Look also at the wires to the loudspeaker - make sure they are connected securely. Pull battery leads out and connect battery, switch on and make sure a wavechange button is depressed. Best use MW.

Next, get a small screwdriver and with the handle end tap sharply the two modules ( silver boxes ). As I've said, I still suspect your R600 is unlikely to have a transistor fault though. Tapping sharply the modules may just reveal a dry joint/poor soldered connection. If no luck there, take a non-metallic thingy such as a pencil and with its blunt end poke around the circuit boards with particular emphasis on the soldered joints. If no joy, try carefully flexing the boards. This may reveal a cracked track but I mean it when I say 'carefully' as this little trick can end up causing damage and making matters worse.

If still no joy, then it really is time for the meter. Are you not confident enough to just use a simple voltmeter ? That would tell you all sorts of useful things.

All the above is general talk; if radio is totally dead on all bands the problem is likely to be power supply or loudspeaker or output stage. Faults on specific bands can be somewhat easier to diagnose. Try what I've suggested herein anyway.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 25th Jul 2007 at 12:36 pm. Reason: Conformance with other post edits.