View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2019, 9:45 pm   #13
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Re: Homebrew Battery Eliminator

Aye Rob, either sod's law or a mathematical law dictates that a vintage radio enthusiast's storage of equipment & stuff expands exponentially in relation to the size of his shack/workshop. Seriously though, I'm sure that Forum guys would enjoy seeing a picture or two of your set-up. In fact, I think there is another thread running somewhere on forum folk's workshops.
OK Les, I'll rustle up a diagram or two. Just sketches at the moment, plus a number of "suck it and see" thoughts in my head as I went along. As a hint to folk who contemplate similar projects - always make up a template for placement of meters, switches, pots, etc. Try & adopt a simple colour code for wiring separate sub-circuits. Get all cutting, filing, drilling of metalwork, paxolin, etc. done before fitment of components. Keep intended meters safely well away from everything, until the circuitry is ready for them. I have a wee car hoover which works off 12V DC - ideal for removing debris. Also a decent set of tweezers. Sods law dictates that occasionally nuts, bolts, washers, etc., sometimes fall behind transformers & chokes, & so on.
Yep, a bit of maths is involved(Ohms Law) when it comes to working out meter shunts & multipliers. But, if some folk aren't too sure - contact an experienced Forum guy or two who live nearby, and ask them to help. A cuppa, packet of Hobnobs, & a chance to yap. Time well spent.

Regards, David

PS. Off to watch "Death in Paradise" on the telly soon. Scenery-wise, brings back fond memories of a short electrical/building contract I was on in the SW of Jamaica, back in the 80's. Well away from the tourist hot-spots. And the local folk were great.