View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2018, 5:29 pm   #22
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Re: 120W PP EL34 amplifier re-born.

Making some progress. Monoblock #1 nearly finished, I just have to fix a couple of issues, EG the clipping indicator LED isn't working and I need to sort out the meter face. After struggling to rescale a VU meter face, I gave up, I havn't a decent printer anyway, and as the meter driver isn't 100% correct for proper VU meter ballistics, I had a brainwave to use runes and "mystic" sygils instead. So now the VU meter is an entropy meter, see pics.

Not sure I'm 100% happy with it, it was a first attempt. Have also been experimenting fitting a light to the meter. My spares box is a bit bare, no white LED's and no suitable bulbs. To be honest there isn't really the power anyway to run a lightbulb, so all I had was a dark blue LED. Waiting for it to get dark to have a proper butchers.

I finally found a finish for the woodwork I was happy with. I was after something to bring out the grain, and slightly colour the sycamore. I ordered some mellow brown Chestnut wax, but it was too dark. After watching some lads build boats on Youtube, I bought some raw linseed oil. So with sander/grain sealer and two coats of raw linseed oil, it looks good.

All I need to do now is drill four holes for some 4" brass handles that will fit on top, so as to make lifting out the amp "module" easier. That and find a volume control knob I'm happy with.

Monoblock #2 is underway, I've cut, planed and routed the wood and just need to plane the mitre joints. Getting them bang on 45 degrees is very tricky with just a Wilko saw and old plane that wobbles. I've part finished the PSU, bent, shaped and painted all the brackets etc.

TFL, Andy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01045.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	171183   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01046.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	171184   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01053.JPG