View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2018, 4:54 pm   #39
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: How much time do you get to work on sets?

Quotes from this thread that I particularly like:

As a so-called 'baby boomer', I was brought up in an age when the 'make do or mend' attitude was prevalent. Consequently, that attitude was deeply ingrained and has been predominant in all my life.

It seems the last 20 years have been a permanent fight to get time.

I retired 2 years ago and wonder how I had time to go to work.

If I did retire I would have enough repair jobs to keep me busy for the next 5-10 years.

I'm not tempted at all to spend time watching television - the aerial fell down about five years ago and getting it put back up hasn't yet seemed worthwhile.

I've got a half-acre veg. garden/orchard that needs curating, a large dog who expects a couple of hours of walks a day, firelogs to saw, a 160-year-old house to maintain.... and even though I no longer need to work I still find there aren't enough hours in the day.

When I repair things for people they sometimes say something like 'you are so lucky to be able to do that'. Luck has nothing to do with it. Hours spent studying, reading boring books I don't understand at first, trying and failing, putting resources in place, practicing over and over again until its right.

A problem seems to be that a project will sit on the bench and be pecked away at. Before it is done something else breaks and bench space is needed.
So the thing on the bench risks getting beyond the threshold of memory, where I forget where I am up to and it's hard to get back to it.