View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2019, 10:38 pm   #92
ORAWA01
Hexode

Default Re: Antenna recommendation for 40 and 80M bands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz4CQJ View Post
Even prior to this thread, my limited understanding was that if I update from TT to TN, then the installer must ensure that all pipework must be connected (the word "bonded" is used) back to the Main Earth Terminal. I think this is what the RSGB book says. One issue here is that this adds to the cost of installing the new consumer unit. The chances are that in an older house, there will be no existing bonding, or the existing conductors will need upgrading to meet current regs. If the point where the water mains pipe comes in to the house is totally concealed by fitted kitchen units, then I assume even more work is involved in getting access to that.

Bonding the pipes back to the MET does not mean they are being used to create an earth, it simply ensures that are at the same potential.

It will be interesting to get three suitably qualified Part17 electricians in to do quotes and see if they all propose that exactly the same work is required.

B

I am not quite understanding Earthing system and bonding etc too. Only thing I ensured was there is no connection between the mains water pipes and the 230V wall sockets' E pins. And there was none.

So it was a make shift antenna I put up just to keep me going for a few days, and it worked fine without any problems.

But now, with the arrival of the 1:1 balun I ordered, it has been taken off, and put up in the middle of the garden as inverted V with the balun. I haven't transmitted yet, but on reception, it seems about 2 S point higher than the previous antenna, and SWR is between 1.5 - 2: 1 without ATU.

Will run this antenna for a few days or weeks, and will move on to a Loop with tuner. I have a couple of tuning caps, so should be able to build a loop tuner.

I had an MFJ loop tuner for 20-10M in the past, and had great QRP CW fun with it running as an indoor loop antenna.

Would also like to try out a doublet and GP afterwards, and choose the best suitable one for this location.

Last edited by ORAWA01; 15th Sep 2019 at 10:51 pm.