View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2019, 8:04 pm   #86
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Antenna recommendation for 40 and 80M bands

Even prior to this thread, my limited understanding was that if I update from TT to TN, then the installer must ensure that all pipework must be connected (the word "bonded" is used) back to the Main Earth Terminal. I think this is what the RSGB book says. One issue here is that this adds to the cost of installing the new consumer unit. The chances are that in an older house, there will be no existing bonding, or the existing conductors will need upgrading to meet current regs. If the point where the water mains pipe comes in to the house is totally concealed by fitted kitchen units, then I assume even more work is involved in getting access to that.

Bonding the pipes back to the MET does not mean they are being used to create an earth, it simply ensures that are at the same potential.

It will be interesting to get three suitably qualified Part17 electricians in to do quotes and see if they all propose that exactly the same work is required.

B