View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2018, 11:39 pm   #70
machineage
Triode

Default Re: I hate Steampunk AVOs

The other side of this is the legal / safety aspect. Some time ago I researched the legislation & requirements to bring antique lamps to a point where they would conform to current standards and be deemed safe & lawful to sell. After many enquiries with various bodies (BSI, LIA, TS, etc) my risk-averse self decided it wasn’t worth it. The LIA for example suggest that if too many components of an original lamp are changed (cable, bulbholder, switch etc) they could effectively be deemed a new product, which brings with it a quagmire of testing & approval requirements. I asked them about the emergence of ‘upcycled’ lamps at the time and they said they most certainly would be deemed new products.

It's one thing to make these lamps for personal use, its quite something else to do so for financial gain. Following my research I wonder how many of these upcycled lamps meet the requirements, and I would hope these supposedly competent upcyclers have some pretty robust product / personal liability insurance should a claim ensue.

Anyway, I saw this earlier
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AVOlamp.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	174240