View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2017, 11:58 pm   #248
joebog1
Banned

Default Re: 807 (maybe) amplifier build. Now EL34

Many years ago I discovered that spray cans are for car suspension parts NOT amplifiers!!!!

I bought a small Chinese compressor, and a half decent Chinese spray gun. $125 or about 70 quid for you.
A litre of hammertone costs about $40 Australian, one litre is enough to paint 20 LARGE chassis. To make a really nice job, you can use spray bog as a filler and sand down to suit your taste.

Several millenia ago I used spray cans in the house and mum chucked a REAL wobbly!!! and I didnt spray the carpet .

I am spoilt I guess as its about 30 degrees C for most of the year, and I dont have the English rain and cold to deal with. I do however have native Australian bees!!! They just LOVE drying paint to die in!!. This leaves "leg ends" stuck in the paint after its dried and I rub their bodies off the surface.

To beat this ( AND it will protect your carpets) I go to the supermarket and get a LARGE cardboard box, ( a fridge box maybe ?? ) that I lay on its side, with the open end facing me. I stick a couple of holes in the top and use mig wire ( ONLY because I have it) to hang the chassis/parts to be painted. A heavy chassis will need a wooden rule on top of the box to spread the load when the wire is wrapped around the rule. Spray inside the box.

An alternative to hammertone is "satin" enamel!! I use "Killrust" brand. It tends to hide small defects, and doesnt run easily. Its available in spray cans too!!.

Keep up the good work

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	paint.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	152555