View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2018, 5:52 pm   #24
usradcoll1
Heptode

Default Re: What has become of Sharp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
For some time now they've been availing themselves of contract manufacturing. Back in the early 1990s, a mate of mine who used to work for a well-known amusement park in the vicinity fitted out the retail units with Sharp intelligent tills in all the outlets. He was so pleased with the result that he bought the latest Sharp TV (one of those with a postcard sized main board with surface mount, an early adopter). The TV lasted years and so when it came time to buy flat-screen, he bought another Sharp. It was made by Vestel.
A few weeks ago his Indesit washer broke and so he bought a new one...a Sharp. Again made by Vestel.

I remember reading an article online a few months ago about Sharp USA selling one of their american factories to Hisense along with a brand licensing deal. So Sharp-branded products are coming out of a Sharp-built factory both of which are now owned and operated by a Chinese company.

I suppose they're just following the trend.
Foxconn, who now owns Sharp is starting to build a large plant in southeast Wisconsin USA, not too far from where I live. It's supposed to employ thousands of persons.
They're going to have their own glass plant, as well. Right now, they're working on acquiring all the real property for the project.
This state lost a lot of industry in the last 50 years. This should help a bit.