View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2018, 1:12 am   #54
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re: End of an era.

Lovely story!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
One initiative that I have seen talked about is 'repair cafes' - though mostly for computer/software problems and bikes rather than electronics at component level, at least it shows some increased awareness out there for keeping things going instead of buying new.
I've been a volunteer repairer at two Repair Cafes for nearly two years, and we get very few computers or bikes. We do actually get lots of portable radios and cassette recorders which I repair at component level, and large numbers of small domestic appliances, portable power tools, clocks and table lamps. Our 'success rate' is around 70%, and we are starting to see regular 'customers' returning time and again. Repairs like this are only really viable these days when volunteers do the work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by linescan87
I wonder if there will be a mock-up of a noughties repair shop in somewhere like the Black Country Living Museum in fifty years?
Yes, there will, if I have anything to do with it! But I'll be 115 years old by then... however the Black Country Living Museum is currently working on plans to recreate a 1959 radio & TV shop, including a small workshop.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts

Last edited by Phil G4SPZ; 4th Mar 2018 at 1:16 am. Reason: Punctuation