View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2018, 1:00 pm   #142
Slothie
Octode

Default Re: MK14 schematic revisions

Quote:
However, as with all things that age they are becoming more expensive and difficult to get. GALs would be another option but only a small percentage of people have programmers capable of programming them. The parts would really need to be as ubiquitous as possible. A 'modern' fast EPROM might work just as well as an address decoder but it would come in a wide bodied footprint.
GALs might be an option; my cheap £50 TL866CS/Minipro programmer will do Lattice GAL16V* and GAL20V* and Minipro works great on Linux under Wine with a modified DLL. Although obsolete too they seem to be far more available than BPROMS. Although I've never used GALs I have used CPLDs which are much the same. I'd have to find some logic compiler to generate the bitmap that the Minipro expects but I'm sure there's something out there for free. (Sadly the TL866 doesn't do BPROMS )

That said, if someones kitted themselves out with a programmer for Tesla PROMS for the monitor then programming an address decode PROM wont be an issue! eBay seems to be flooded with Tesla 74S571s at the moment, so perhaps I should get my act together and start looking at programming them!