View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2022, 10:23 am   #8
Sparky67
Heptode

Default Re: Purchasing an R1155 receiver

Sounds like a fun and worthwhile project zoomer1. It might be worth joining VMARS, there will be many R1155 owners and users among the membership who will no doubt be able to support you in your quest. 1155s turn up at VMARS auctions from time to time too. As mentioned by Ed there are also options to extend the freq range - and maybe produce a working DF system to go with it as well.

Years ago I had an unmolested 1155 for which I built a PSU and audio amp into a surplus 19” rack-mounted box, painted to match. The receiver could either sit on top of the box or be mounted separately with a longer cable between them. That was lent to a chap who lived in Sedgley, always wondered what happened to it…!

Somewhere I have a copy of the large RAF 1154/55 installation diagram [which can be seen on the greenradio web site) if it’s of any interest. Drop me a DM if you want me to look for it.

I’m not too sure about aircraft and equipment not being built to last. Designed and built to meet certain performance specs and/or to save weight with an eye on material availability and the time required to produce many thousands at the time yes, but is there any actual evidence of the former?

Cheers,

Martin
G4NCE