Old 25th May 2022, 12:24 pm   #9
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Reporting the death of members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panrock View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
The problem is that we have no way of knowing that someone has died unless someone tells us.
Then you have the question of the reliability of the information. There can be misunderstandings. For example, some years ago my own passing was announced on this and certain other boards.

Steve
That evokes memories of the rumours of the demise of the American humourist, novelist and social critic Samuel Clemens - best known by his pen name, 'Mark Twain' who is often misquoted as having said :

“The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.”

What he actually said was:

‘ The report of my death was an exaggeration.”

He was in London on one of the stops on a round-the-world speaking tour he’d embarked on in 1895, when someone started a rumour that he was gravely ill. It was followed by a rumour that he had died:

https://www.thisdayinquotes.com/2010...e-greatly.html

Currently, the forum statistics state that there are 30,493 members, of whom 1,967 are 'active'. Not sure whether an 'active' member is someone who regularly posts, or includes those who don't post, but regularly access the forum even if only to view posts and threads. Some formerly active members who might even be termed 'leading lights' still often visit the forum even though they no longer post or are still active in the hobby.

Very saddened to see that Al, 'Skywave' - yet another valued forum member - has pass away so suddenly.