View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2015, 8:59 pm   #25
Simon_V
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Trio 9R-59DS communications receiver (1970)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G4SPZ View Post
I was given this early 1970s valved communications receiver by my very good and generous friend Phil Cadman G4JCP, who had owned it from new, but as the set had spent the last 25 years unused in his loft he felt it needed a bit of TLC and a new home. This type of set is a bit outside my normal ‘comfort zone’ when dealing with vintage valve radios, but Phil twisted my arm and I have spent the past week working on it. It had several faults including a couple I had not encountered before, so I thought I’d share the story with you
Good read Phil

I am another one who had one of these as his first set. My uncle had one and I used to sit there for hours listening to QSO's on 80M. I think my parents finally realised that this obsesion with radio's was not going away and by this time they were used to various bits of wire being strung up along the length of the garden. My dad and I spent months making a weekend trip over to Alum Rock (Birmingham) in search of my 9R59DS.

So you know Phil Cadman G4JCP. I have known Phil since he was G8HHK (He is going to hate me for that) It's down to Phil and some of his friends that got me into Amateur Radio in my early teens. It was also Phil who sparked my interest in computers.

I really must get around to re-validating my licence but for the record I am Simon G6TKK although as I now live in West Wales I guess I am GW6TKK

Regards

Simon

Last edited by Simon_V; 20th Feb 2015 at 9:05 pm.