View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2017, 9:02 pm   #14
Andrew2
Nonode

Default Re: What have I done??

Oh Gawd! In the late 70's /early 80's we agreed to do repairs for the Hardy's furniture chain. They'd just started flogging cheap & cheerful (not) consumer electricals and my boss thought it would be a nice little earner. Dream on.
Although they didn't sell those awful Fidelity things, they stocked some similar stuff. Two items will haunt me forever - the 'Global' 14" portable TV in the then-fashionable white 'space helmet' case and the 'Capetronic' music centre, also in trendy white plastic.
Both these were pared down to the last penny and it showed. I can't remember any specific fault with the TV, but we seemed to have a constant stream of them flowing through the workshop. Spares and service info were difficult to find and the sets were awful to work on as there was a loom of wires that prevented the PCB from being fully removed.
The dreaded Capetronic was just plain dismal. We had a fair share of popped audio outputs and baulked tuning drives, but the main offender was the £$%$%%&! cassette transport. The take-up drive was a very badly designed slipping clutch thingy which was a real 'wing and a prayer' device. They tended to pack up soon after installation and eat the customers' favourite musicassette. They were impossible to fix in the home so they piled up in the workshop as well. Even on the bench, it was an almighty battle to remove the 'slug' of tape wrapped tightly around the capstan. Sometimes it took hours to finish the job and the few quid we got for the repair didn't cover it.
On the good side, Hardy's also shifted plenty of those lovely Philips 320 17" 'sit-up' tellies (also in 70's white plastic) which were super little sets with only a couple of stock faults.
Terribly sorry for knocking this thread off-target, but the sight of that Fidelity took me right back! Mods please move this post if it's too far off-beam.