View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2017, 9:04 pm   #33
paulsherwin

Default Re: new hard drive for Pentium IV

Good find! This is still a P4 era machine, but one of the later examples (it will be from 2006 or 2007). It should run W7 well enough, though you will need to buy a retail version. Why not stick Linux on it and have a play around?

I probably have a few 512MB DDR sticks lying around if they are any use to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
I don't think you would be wise to put much time and money into this - as has been said in other threads, P4 systems are noisy and power hungry.
I'm not sure about the "power hungry" bit, but the five P4s I use here are not particularly noisy (in the audible sense) at all.
You are very lucky then! The big drawback with P4 processors is that they generate an awful lot of heat. This normally means they are fitted with massive heatsinks and powerful fans. Of course, the idea of what constitutes 'noisy' will vary from person to person, and some are fitted with intelligent CPU coolers that will minimise the fan noise when the CPU isn't working hard. The positioning of the system unit can also reduce the subjective noise level.

The heat problem is the main reason that Intel stopped trying to use higher and higher clock speeds and went for multiple core designs instead.