View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2017, 11:29 pm   #113
1100 man
Octode

Default Re: Pilot PT650 "Spacemaker" Television

Many thanks for using the GEC as a test bed for these experiments. If I'm reading the results correctly, it would seem that with full mains applied, the ripple current is 2A with the single diode and 1.2A with the bridge. Theoretically, this would result in less heating of the dropper but as the HT rises with the bridge, a bigger resistor would be needed to bring the HT down to the correct value. Thus resulting in more heat being dissipated!
So all in all, there is probably not much difference in the heat dissipated by the dropper between full or half wave rectification to achieve the same HT voltage. Interesting experiment though!

You mentioned the more efficient line timebase in the Pilot for the 110 degree tube. I had been puzzling over the (to me) slightly strange circuit where the voltage for the anode of the efficiency diode does not come directly from the HT rail. Instead it is fed via a choke and the secondary winding of the LOPT. This winding (which drives the scan coils) is connected to the main primary via a capacitor.
I happened to read the 'developments in tv receivers' section in the '59/60 red Newnes book. This details a 'de-saturated' line output transformer whereby the DC current for the line o/p valve is fed in the opposite direction through the secondary winding.
This neutralises the DC component in the transformer and results in greater efficiency. It also reduces the intensity of the line whistle.
All very interesting I thought and not something I was aware of!
True enough, the line whistle from the Pilot is much less piercing than the GEC 2000!
All the best
Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0516.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	148691   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0515.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	148692