View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2014, 1:26 am   #1
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re-stuffing HT batteries with PP3s

I have re-stuffed a couple of old HT batteries recently and have discovered that certain makes of PP3 are more suitable than others for the purpose.

Like most, I suspect, I buy cheap zinc-carbon PP3 batteries in packs of two for £1 from my local Pound Shop and these come with various brand names, typically Panasonic, Kodak and Sony. I bought ten Kodak PP3s which I tried, unsuccessfully, to fit inside the case of an Ever Ready B126, finding that the batteries were fractionally too long to fit, lengthwise, across the case. In the meantime, I used the Kodak cells in a larger battery and bought ten Sony branded ones, only to find that these just fitted snugly inside the B126 case, and I have successfully made a working B126 90 volt HT battery using them.

I can only conclude that Sony PP3s are slightly shorter than Kodak PP3s. It's worth comparing different makes of PP3 for size when space is at a premium. These batteries are all much of a muchness when it comes to capacity, and they seem to last for ages with occasional use.

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ever ready B126.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	88490  

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts

Last edited by Phil G4SPZ; 1st Feb 2014 at 1:28 am. Reason: Punctuation